Welcome to my portfolio!
The most recent pieces of my work can be found here. Feel free to also visit my youtube channel
or my dev blog.
I am a passionate video game player and developer with a B.Sc. in Game Design.Besides bringing along typical German virtues like precision and reliability I also have a strong desire to work on games that define their genre. I found that passion when I first started to modify games like Half Life 1. Ever since I have continued learning new techniques and fields related to game development.
Today, the primary tasks at my current employer consists of creating a number of different systems. They range from high level gameplay logic and interactive entities to autonomous AI agents. These agents perceive their environment and each other as well as communicate with each other and other interactive entities.
Continued effort to stay up to speed with new technology and development in the industry is a must for me. I spend part of my spare time seeking to improve existing skills as well as learning selected work flows and tools that I don’t get in touch with at work. I’ve found the most efficient way to do this is to combine learning with an actual project. My latest one is a remake of the once popular Half Life 2 mod Resistance and Liberation that I have ported to Unreal Engine 4 and built a team of 12 active and talented people around it.
- Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age - Technical Designer, A.I.
- Warface Siberian Winter campaign - Level Design
- Ryse Multiplayer - Technical Designer
- Crysis3 - Technical Designer
- Spec Ops – The Line (Xbox 360, PS3 and PC) - embedded QA for AI
- Unannounced XBLA prototype made by Binary Madness
- Resistance And Liberation - Game Design, Code and 3D Art
- Left4Dead 1 and 2 - Custom Level Design
- Day of Defeat - Custom Level Design
- B.Sc. Gamedesign at Mediadesign Hochschule (MD.H) Berlin
- Abitur at Gymnasium Stade
- Solid programming background: C++, C#, UnrealScript and Flash Action Script (Scaleform)
- Excellent visual scripting abilities (Blueprints, Flowgraph)
- High and Low Poly modeling
- Ability to learn new tools and pick up new concepts quickly
- Good interdisciplinary problem solving abilities
- Effective teamwork within given schedules
- Unreal Engine 3 and 4
- CryEngine 3 and 5
- Hammer Editor
- MS VisualStudio
- PIX (Performance Index for Xbox 360)
- Autodesk 3dsMax, Softimage XSI
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash
- Perforce, Subversion
- Panzerhaubitze 2000 - a project a fellow student and I created.
Music: Richard Strauss - "Also sprach Zarathustra"
- Panzerhaubitze 2000 - low resolution
- Mighty Space Miners - a flash game I created with two fellow students as a project for university.
- Sl*t - The Game - a flash based game that I helped create. It was used as promo game for a new album of the german band "Slut". Despite the rather unusual name this band makes pop music.
- Mental Asylum - A campaign for the Valve game "Left 4 Dead 2". 3 out of the 4 parts of that campaign are done. The map is also available at L4DMaps.com
- RnL trailer - The 2007 christmas trailer for the HL2 mod Resistance and Liberation - the mod download can be found here.
Contact me via LinkedIn: https://de.linkedin.com/in/stefan-bermig-66626a3
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br2
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br3
March 15, 2010+br850+br478+br4
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br5
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br6
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br7
March 15, 2010+br1000+br584+br8
March 17, 2010+br1000+br625+br9
March 17, 2010+br1000+br625+br10
September 18, 2016+br1000+br601+br11
September 18, 2016+br390+br625+br12
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br13
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br14
March 16, 2010+br1000+br625+br15
I created this model in order to learn 3DS max high poly modeling. The reference is a BMW 760i from 2005.
The carpaint material is a Shellac material available at CGTalk
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1000
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1001
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1002
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1003
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1004
Audi S3 2008
This is the model of a Audi S3 from 2008.
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1005
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1006
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1007
The PZH 2000 was modeled with a fellow student as final test of our 3D class in university.
While he was responsible for building the turret and the animations I modeled the body, UVed the finished mesh and created the camouflage texture sheet.
The result of this work is a video that can be downloaded here
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1008
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1009
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1010
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1011
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1012
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1013
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1014
March 15, 2010+br625+br625+br1015
Tire and Rims
I modeled this set of a tire and rims as preparation for larger models, like the BMW I used it for.
The tire bump map is from a tutorial.
March 15, 2010+br850+br478+br1016
Gulf Of Krimsekistan
Gulf of Krimsekistan is a multiplayer map for the game "Settlers - Rise of an Empire".
It features 2 traders on each side of the bay who are the only resources for trade goods that are vital to the game's progress and winning the game later.
I created it during the level design course in university together with a fellow student. We both designed it but had to come up with a build of it on our own as result.
March 15, 2010+br1000+br584+br1017
March 15, 2010+br1000+br585+br1018
March 15, 2010+br1000+br584+br1019
March 15, 2010+br1000+br584+br1020
March 15, 2010+br625+br625+br1021
St Come Du Mont
St. Come du Mont was one of the areas to be captured by the allied paratroopers who landed in the Normandy. It was my first map for Resistance and Liberation.
The challenge I faced creating this map was to make a large outdoor area style level with a tool set and an engine that was optimized to do indoor and medium sized outdoor levels.
Another challenge was the indoor lighting. The Source engine is particularly weak when it comes to bounce lights, especially with it's default bounce lights, resulting in extremely dark indoor areas even when those have windows to the brightly lit outside.
In order to still have good looking indoor areas that are not all lit by artificial light sources (who turns on lamps at daytime anyway?) I had to cheat a little and use a number of carefully placed and set up spot lights infront of each window to fake a proper lighting.
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1022
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1023
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1024
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1025
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1026
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1027
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1028
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1029
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1030
Mental Asylum Sewers
This is the second of five maps in my campaign for the Valve game "Left 4 Dead".
It leads the four players through a sewer system, up into an apartment block and concludes in an underground carpark of a hotel that serves as location of the third map.
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1031
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1032
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1033
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1034
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1035
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1036
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1037
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1038
Mental Asylum Subway
The first of 5 map of my "Left 4 Dead"
The players start in the control room of a subway station. They have to make their way through the large station and the outbound tunnels in order to get into a flooded part of the city's sewers. The sewers are the location of the following map
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1039
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1040
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1041
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1042
March 15, 2010+br1000+br625+br1043
One of my "Resistance and Liberation
" maps is featuring a train station, yet no trainstation would be perfect without a train, so I made one.
The base textures I used to create the sheets are taken from CG Textures.com
March 16, 2010+br1000+br625+br1044
March 16, 2010+br1000+br625+br1045
March 16, 2010+br1000+br625+br1046
March 16, 2010+br1000+br625+br1047
March 16, 2010+br1000+br625+br1048
August 7, 2010+br1000+br625+br1049
August 7, 2010+br1000+br625+br1050
March 16, 2010+br850+br531+br1051
A vintage Citroen I modeled to learn the UE4 asset pipeline
September 18, 2016+br1000+br601+br1052
October 3, 2016+br1000+br601+br1053
US Parachute Infantry
A U.S. Parachute Infantry NCO that I made to learn the UE4 character pipeline
September 18, 2016+br390+br625+br1054
September 18, 2016+br390+br625+br1055
Dieppe is my latest map for the HL2 mod RnL.
It features newly implemented gameplay modes like objective destruction and will force both teams to both attack their targets while defending the enemy's targets.
It is still a "work on progress", so some screenshots show the grey texture used to layout the entire map and it's missing quite some detail.
March 17, 2010+br1000+br625+br1056
March 17, 2010+br1000+br625+br1057
March 17, 2010+br1000+br625+br1058
March 17, 2010+br1000+br625+br1059
March 17, 2010+br1000+br625+br1060
The bath house level is part of a small game that I developed with a team of fellow students.
We were presented with an engine called Shark 3D
that no one of use knew to that date and after a brief introduction of it's capabilites, limits and workflow we were assigned the task to develop a game within 5 weeks.
We chose to create a multiplayer game that featured an "Gears of War" like annex point gameplay.
My task was to develop a level that worked for up to 16 people. That included:
- creating a working layout
- position all necessary entities
- creating the textures
- scripting the gameplay, including timers, collision detection for the triggers and the gameplay logic for pickups like armor and "regeneration zones" that refilled the player's health.
March 17, 2010+br1000+br625+br1061
March 17, 2010+br970+br625+br1062
I programmed this level editor with C# as a tool for the development of a Flash based promo game
that I helped working on during my studies.
My responsibilities during the development were:
- helping to come up with and refining a design fit for a 2D sidescroller music game.
- identify the needs of the artists and the requirements of the gamedesign for a level editor.
- develop and maintain a flexible editor to create multiple levels with different settings and entities
- design a XML based format for storing the information of the levels
- implement an interface that is capable of reading and processing the level information
- work closely together with another programmer to implement the collision of the game and program a collision editor to create the game's collision meshes.
March 18, 2010+br878+br625+br1063
March 18, 2010+br1000+br562+br1064
March 18, 2010+br656+br538+br1065
March 18, 2010+br656+br538+br1066
Bell UH1H Huey
A Huey from the Vietnam area. It's rigged and fully functional in CryEngine3
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1067
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1068
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1069
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1070
July 18, 2012+br1000+br625+br1071
July 18, 2012+br1000+br625+br1072
Audi S3 2008 UDK
The 2008 version of Audi's S3. Fully rigged, operational and destructible in the UDK
. Features emissive textures, toggleable head and brake lights and an ignition that can be accessed in Kismet.
The car paint is done in a shader, so there's just a small amount of texture space used for the outter parts.
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1073
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1074
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1075
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1076
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1077
July 16, 2012+br1000+br625+br1078
July 16, 2012+br512+br512+br1079